Re: Taming the "lsblk" command

On Wed 09 Jan 2019 at 16:36:16 (-0500), Michael Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 12:45:02PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> > But returning to lsblk, I can't figure out why the OP's lsblk -l
> > appears in such an odd order. Does it differ from that given by
> > lsblk with no arguments?
> >
> > I've checked the unsorted order of my /sys/dev/block, which is
> > essentially random, as is the order of block devices in the output
> > of mount, yet lsblk gives me a nice sorted lists:
>
> Without -x it's sorting in device major:minor order, which happens to
> be alphabetical in your install purely by chance.

So, looking at the OP, is the order of sdc a temporary state of
affairs, produced by adding partitions to sdc while sde is plugged in
and blocking the sequence? (I've never seen one letter split.)

Or is it quite normal when you reach fifteen partitions? I can
understand that the devices seem to be assigned in blocks of sixteen,
but I slightly surprised that they would be assigned in a broken
sequence when they all present at boot time.

And surely sr0, sitting there in the middle, has a completely
different major number from sdX.

OP's report:

    However when I do
     > lsblk -l -o name,label