Re: Upgrade Problem

David Wright composed on 2019-01-04 10:19 (UTC-0600):

> On Fri 04 Jan 2019 at 04:30:00 (-0500), Felix Miata wrote:

>>> This partitioning scheme seems really odd and unwieldy.

>> Indeed. Considering the absence of a sysadmin,

> What's so unusual about that?

Standing alone, absolutely nothing, but it wasn't standing alone....

>> absence of 2 possible primary partitions on sda,

> If the OP partitioned an MBR disk intending to subdivide the
> filesystem, then it might be expected that they create an extended
> partition. Why bother with holding off until you've got two
> primary partitions set up first?

Off the top of my head:

1-trivial I know, but avoiding seeing fdisk report "Partition table entries are not in disk order"

2-less trivial: partitions not being in disk order

3-potential to have a primary partition added following a logical, thereby making following
freespace unavailable for one or more added logicals (disappearing freespace).

>> and the absence of sda6,

> I assume that's swap.

Yes, but:

# df -hl
/dev/sda1        23G   23G     0 100% /
/dev/sda2	?			extended (presumably)
/dev/sda5       9.2G  6.0G  2.8G  69% /var
/dev/sda6	?	?	?	swap
/dev/sda7       1.9G  6.5M  1.7G   1% /tmp
/dev/sda8       416G  103G  292G  27% /home
?freespace?	?

Where is the logic responsible for the original allocations? Would any Debian Installer have done it
without intervention from the admin? It looks like the work of a naive admin. Yet, OP claimed "I
haven't messed around with partitioning since the early days of Slackware, and that was with a great
deal of trepidation".

> ...but the OP would become a better sysadmin by learning something during the cleanup.

Indeed!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/