Re: Why choose Debian on server

On 1/2/19 1:41 PM, deloptes wrote:

Joe wrote:

Indeed. I'm currently working on getting Debian onto a small Acer
laptop, which is not trivial. I've run it on a netbook for several
years. But laptops and servers are solutions to different problems, and
don't generally need the same hardware and software. I wouldn't run
Gimp on a server, nor a RADIUS server on a laptop.
before start using the Fujitsu PC I used the same on a Dell E5440, I just
took the hard drive and put it into the Fujitsu PC. It started without a
problem.

The server is just a more powerful PC and the PC from today is the server
from 10y ago.

Not really true.  Servers tend to be configured very differently than desktop machines:  Multiple network ports, support for storage area networks, remote management, redundancy, different disks, not to mention headless.  One tends to run more specialized stuff, as well - hypervisors, storage management, failover stuff, back-end stuff (databases, mail servers, list servers).  One tends to run different drivers, and tune things differently.

I don't see a problem running Gimp on a server or RADIUS on a laptop ...
well, depends on the laptop and radius configuration.

I'm not sure how well GIMP would run on across a network, particularly if one wants to use a pen.  It's really designed to run on a machine with a head.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra