Sources list, was Re: Gparted error report

On Tue 01 Jan 2019 at 13:45:48 (-0500), Lee wrote:
> On 1/1/19, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> >> To a first approximation:
> >>
> >>    tomas@trotzki:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
> >>    9.6
> >>
> >> Since it's possible to install packages from other releases (cf.
> >> FrankenDebian) or from alien repositories, this is just a first
> >> approximation.
> >
> > My system reports 9.1 {as I thought it was}
> > It was initially installed from a purchased DVD 1.
>
> If you've been keeping the system updated, shouldn't it say 9.6?

Yes, but you have to know about the OP's habits.

> > My sources list now has a line
> > "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib".
> > The only packages I've added have been from that repository.
>
> Is there a debian doc that has the recommended source list?
>
> I've found
>   https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02#_debian_archive_basics
> that has this list:
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib
>

> and  https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList that has this list:
>
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main
>
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main
>
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main
>

> They don't match, so I'm wondering if there's a place that shows the
> recommended, if you don't know any better use this, sources list.

You've quoted six lines from the wiki; there follows this line:

    If you also want the contrib and non-free components,
    add contrib non-free after main:

and then another six line example. The recommendations are made in the
Debian installer, in the screens headed "Configure the package manager".
There's no way of knowing whether the sysadmin requires sources, or
whether they have "political"¹ views on which components to include,
but the security updates are certainly "strongly recommended"². The
sources.list is then written for you.

¹ scare quotes
² literal quotation

Cheers,