Gparted error report

I am trying to modify the partitioning of a 240GB USB connected SSD.
It was originally created on a laptop running Debian 9.1 which is in the shop for cooling problems.

I attempted to repartition it on a laptop running Debian 8.6 and received an error message that the installed revision of e2fsck could not analyze the first partition.

I then tried to perform the repartitioning on a machine I believe to be running Debian 9.1.

*FIRST QUESTION*
How do I determine just what Debian release is running?

When I attempted the repartition on the second machine the error report was:
GParted 0.25.0 --enable-libparted-dmraid --enable-online-resize

Libparted 3.2
Shrink /dev/sdc1 from 124.96 GiB to 80.00 GiB  00:00:00    ( ERROR )

calibrate /dev/sdc1  00:00:00    ( SUCCESS )

path: /dev/sdc1 (partition)
start: 2048
end: 262051839
size: 262049792 (124.96 GiB)
check file system on /dev/sdc1 for errors and (if possible) fix them  00:00:00    ( ERROR )

e2fsck -f -y -v -C 0 /dev/sdc1  00:00:00    ( ERROR )

Possibly non-existent device?
e2fsck 1.43.4 (31-Jan-2017)
e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sdc1

It is obviously *NOT* a "non-existent device" as it is readable on another machine.

*SECOND QUESTION*
What is this telling me?

TIA