Re: Controling automactic mounting USB storage devices

On Tue 01 Jan 2019 at 06:24:58 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
> All my machines have MATE desktop. They are various releases of Jessie
> and Stretch.
>
> If the USB device is connected at boot, the individual partitions can
> be unmounted.
>
> However, if the device is connected after boot individual partitions
> can not be unmounted with the GUI.
>
> This is *UNACCEPTABLE*!
> What controls this action?
> An acceptable alternative that when connected the device is not
> automatically mounted but just appears in the Places menu.

Should I assume that the action offered by the GUI is "eject"?
If so, then it's vital that it unmount *all* the partitions before
it implicitly or explicitly invites you to pull the USB plug out.
Anything else would be a serious interface design fault, because
inserting the plug had automatically mounted *all* the partitions.

The above is not meant to exclude having GUI programs that handle
partitions separately, and they would have their interfaces designed
with their own symmetrical principles for mounting/unmounting.

Cheers,
David.