Re: Gparted error report

On 1/1/19, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> On 01/01/2019 08:03 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 01, 2019 at 06:07:21AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> I am trying to modify the partitioning of a 240GB USB connected SSD.
>>> It was originally created on a laptop running Debian 9.1 which is in
>>> the shop for cooling problems.
>>>
>>> I attempted to repartition it on a laptop running Debian 8.6 and
>>> received an error message that the installed revision of e2fsck
>>> could not analyze the first partition.
>>>
>>> I then tried to perform the repartitioning on a machine I believe to
>>> be running Debian 9.1.
>>>
>>> *FIRST QUESTION*
>>> How do I determine just what Debian release is running?
>>
>> To a first approximation:
>>
>>    tomas@trotzki:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
>>    9.6
>>
>> Since it's possible to install packages from other releases (cf.
>> FrankenDebian) or from alien repositories, this is just a first
>> approximation.
>
> My system reports 9.1 {as I thought it was}
> It was initially installed from a purchased DVD 1.

If you've been keeping the system updated, shouldn't it say 9.6?

> My sources list now has a line
> "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib".
> The only packages I've added have been from that repository.

Is there a debian doc that has the recommended source list?

I've found
  https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02#_debian_archive_basics
that has this list:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib

and  https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList that has this list:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main

They don't match, so I'm wondering if there's a place that shows the
recommended, if you don't know any better use this, sources list.

Lee