Re: ext2 for /boot ???

On 14.09.18 16:10, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 01:23:31PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I just find it amazing that the kernel has grown to be so big as to be
> > comparable to a complete unix distribution on a workstation of some
> > years ago (with GUI, compilers, ...).
>
> Have you tried one of those lately? I keep some around on VMs, and they were
> *terrible*. It's nice every once in a while to remember how far we've come.

Yep, as Stefan implied, not a step forward. I cannot detect any difference
between the SunOS-4.1.3 workstation I used just over a quarter of a
century ago, and my current linux box. The four xterms I put up are
still yellow on darkslategrey, from the same rgb.txt file as back then.

GUI stuff now runs slower than back then, and developers futz with look
and feel, without adding life-enriching new functionality. I stopped
upgrading Eagle years ago, as its UI just became harder to use. And
Firefox/Iceweasel is slow as a wet week, sometimes crashes, and is
mostly a PITA. Kdon't kget kme kstarted kon KDE.

At least the fusspots can't stuff up vim, mutt, fetchmail, procmail,
awk, and the other daily basics.

Erik