Re: ext2 for /boot ???

On 2018-09-12 10:11 +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 11:32:56PM -0400, Lee wrote:
>>Just out of curiosity - why would journaling be undesirable on a
>>partition that is almost never written to?
>
> …I'm not sure what the answer to your question is, but with regards
> /boot and filesystems: on one EFI host of mine, I had a lot of problems
> with /boot/efi precisely because it couldn't be journalled (mandated to
> be vfat) and I had filesystem issues with it after every unscheduled
> power failure. I ended up bodging my system to mount it read-only by
> default, and had to add some apt hooks to remount it writeable for a
> selection of packages (e.g. new kernel, basically anything that might
> trigger an initramfs rebuild)

This sounds like you put /boot/efi on the same filesystem as /boot which
is not recommended or supported at all[1].  On my laptop there is only a
single file under /boot/efi, namely /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi -
which will be written to on updates to the grub-efi package, but not
when installing a new kernel or rebuilding an initramfs.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=163988