Re: ext2 for /boot ???

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 08:37:45AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > So, make /boot a big larger, say couple GiBs, and set data=journalled
>
> BTW, am I the only one here bothered that his 250MB /boot partition
> tends to fill up, even though a 500MB HDD was plenty to hold the whole
> OS plus lots and lots of free space, on a 64bit workstation like the
> original DEC Alphas?

The /boot on the desktop I'm using right now is 150MB. 70 is
currently used.

The kernel is just over 4MB; the initrd is 22MB. There are two
versions of each.

Grub eats almost 10MB.

If you put all necessary drivers into the kernel rather than as
modules, and your system fits a particular set of criteria, you
can do without an initrd or initramfs entirely. So a really
minimal but fully capable system could get away with 20 or 30 MB
of /boot space.

That said, even a really constrained system like a $35 Raspberry
Pi is likely to have 4 to 32 GB of storage available at boot
time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujitsu_Eagle

but you tell that to kids these days, and you might as well be
chasing them off your lawn.

-dsr-