Re: strangest things after upgrade from 8 to 9

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 04:12:53PM -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 11:06:37PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 02:40:41PM -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> >
> > > while people paying $$$ for RHEL support
> > > contracts were always told, "wipe and reinstall" was at least part of
> > > what moved Red Hat to start providing support for in-place upgrades (at
> > > least as of RHEL7, if I understand correctly).
> >
> > Please do not blame support for that.
> > Those poor (literally) overseas guys and gals have two options then it
> > comes to such things.
> > Option A - do it official Red Hat way (i.e. - reinstall).
> > Option B - suggest a customer to do an unsupported upgrade, and get
> > blamed/fired for all kinds of inevitable trouble afterwards.
> >
> I was not trying to blame anyone.

'Blame' was a wrong word.

> My perspective is based on a conversation I had with someone who
> worked for Red Hat as a solutions engineer.

'Avoid responsibility' would be better wording. That unsupported upgrade
procedure goes back to RedHat 6 (not to be confused with RHEL6) at
least. But given a small size (compared to Debian main) of Red Hat
repository and bazillion of warez dumps (such as rpmfind) which are
tempting customer to install useful stuff from - it's a little surprise
that such upgrade is not suggested left and right.

> That and my experience obtaining an RHCE some years ago.

One of the main points of RHCE is to teach people Red Hat way.
An interesting experience, although somewhat limited one.

Reco