Re: strangest things after upgrade from 8 to 9

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 11:06:37PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 02:40:41PM -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
>
> > while people paying $$$ for RHEL support
> > contracts were always told, "wipe and reinstall" was at least part of
> > what moved Red Hat to start providing support for in-place upgrades (at
> > least as of RHEL7, if I understand correctly).
>
> Please do not blame support for that.
> Those poor (literally) overseas guys and gals have two options then it
> comes to such things.
> Option A - do it official Red Hat way (i.e. - reinstall).
> Option B - suggest a customer to do an unsupported upgrade, and get
> blamed/fired for all kinds of inevitable trouble afterwards.

I was not trying to blame anyone.  My perspective is based on a
conversation I had with someone who worked for Red Hat as a solutions
engineer.  That and my experience obtaining an RHCE some years ago.
When I referred to support I was thinking more of folks like solutions
engineers as opposed to call center support personnel.

> > The problem that people tend to encounter is when they either don't read
> > and follow the instructions in the release notes for the new release or
> > have packages installed from low quality third party sources.
>
> Or, in this particular case, follow "good old"
> configure-make-make_install pattern.

Yes, that can have interesting effects on a system depending on how
everything is configured.  I try to avoid installing libraries in this
manner for that reason.

> > There have been some problematic transitions (e.g., the one involving
> > udev was a good example)
>
> That's a *very* x86-centric POV.
> For instance, whoever came up with the idea of disabling
> CONFIG_COMPACTION on armel/kirkwood between jessie and stretch rendered
> armel ununsable on stretch.
> And let's do not mention kfreebsd.

I wasn't saying udev transition was the only one that was problematic.
It happened to be the first that came to mind because I had remotely
upgrade some systems without a good out of band access to them if the
system was rendered unbootable.

Certainly there have been other problematic transitions, as you point
out.

Regards,

-Roberto

--