Re: intermittent name resolution failures

* kamaraju kusumanchi:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 3:51 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>>
>> Whenever your DNS fails try a "traceroute 8.8.8.8". Compare its results
>> to what you get when you do it at times where your DNS works. Perhaps
>> this sheds some light on it.
>
> That is tough to capture because the problem is intermittent. When I
> retry it seems to come back and vice versa. Instead I ran the
> traceroute command 10 times and stored the output in trial_1.txt,
> trial_2.txt, ... trial_10.txt in
> http://kamaraju.xyz/tmp/network_issues/
>
> Command used:
> $ for i in `seq 1 10`; do traceroute 8.8.8.8 > trial_$i.txt; done

This is more useful than the dig +trace output (which is not
representative at all because +trace

> I see a lot of differences between trial_6.txt and trial_4.txt. Does
> that mean anything or is this variation expected?

The first hop should be the same in all cases and reachable (no
stars).  It looks like the network is down intermittently.

What kind of network connection is this?  Do you have physical access
to the machine.