Re: File ownership problem using removeable media

On 12/27/2018 07:34 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 06:48:51AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 12/25/2018 11:22 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 10:06:04AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

[...]

Linux intrinsically assumes one machine has multiple users.

...and it is right in its assumption.

I will admit its assumption is typically valid.

It is *technically* valid: besides "your" user there's at least
"root", "daemon"; typically there's "bin", "man", often"www-data"
and more: lots of little gnomes catering to your well-being behind
the curtains. Have a look at /etc/passwd and behold...

It demonstrates the problem of Linux's jargon[1].
That file has 32 entries. Only 2 are relate to my problem ["richard" & "root"]. Who is "owner" {more jargon} of specific files &/or directories. What is needed the concept of something similar to Intellectual Property.

I started trying to restate my problem unambiguously.
While looking for some local concrete examples I think I thought of another line of attack on my problem. My homework assignment for to day is "Investigate further" ;/

[snip]

[1] https://literarydevices.net/jargon/