Re: File ownership problem using removeable media

On 2018-12-23 17:10, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 04:41:24PM +0000, mick crane wrote:

[...]

>find /home/richard -type d -exec chmod 750 {} \;
>find /home/richard -type f -exec chmod 640 {} \;
>chown -R richard /home/richard*;
>chgrp -R richard /home/richard*;

[sigh] missed off the slashes

>chown -R richard /home/richard/*;
>chgrp -R richard /home/richard/*;

And you do that after each and every mount?

Cheers
-- tomás
well no, I didn't read properly and was trying to be helpful without understanding what the problem was
what I do is if something isn't automagically mounted is look in
dmesg to see if something looks like that might be it and mount it somewhere, changing file permissions if need be. I sort of understand permissions but I've not really understood what "the sticky bit" is.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31