Re: File ownership problem using removeable media

On 12/25/2018 11:22 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 10:06:04AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 12/24/2018 05:50 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

The discussion so far has caused me to wonder if I have been
conflating symptoms. I think I've an idea of how to test for that
-- more later.

Preliminary tests indicate that is likely.
I will have to get some new flash drives to track my tests.
Linux intrinsically assumes one machine has multiple users.

...and it is right in its assumption.

I will admit its assumption is typically valid.

In *MY* case, one user has multiple machines.

...and you're right in your assumption.

I ASSUME nothing! I make a statement of FACT ;/
{I am the ONLY user on any of the machines.}

You won't make any progress unless you try to reconcile both.
It's *your* responsibility, since you are the sapient entity :)

ROFL
I've often told friends that computers resemble 2yr olds.
They will do *EXACTLY* what you tell them to do [especially at the worst possible time].
Don't recall having been publicly referred to as sapient before ;/

I also have multiple instances of Debian installed on a physical
machine. I routinely want something from another partition - Debian
requires root access for that.

You should be more precise: root access for what? > There are several distinct "stages" in that access. Mounting? Read
access?

While running the instance of Debian on sdaX I want read/write access to the files I own on the Debian on sdaY.

Mount is most definitely a root operation, and there are very strong
reasons for that (but things can be delegated).

In context, I don't understand "(but things can be delegated)".

After mount, things
get very dependent on things (e.g. which file system, etc.)

For the purpose of this thread only one is ext4.

I'm wondering if some of my
chaos/confusion stems from copying data from that partition to a
flash drive.

If you did the copy as root, didn't specify to keep file owner and
group (as in cp -p or cp -a) then yes, the owner/group of your copies
ends up as root.

I don't know what operations {or in what order} were performed on my collection of flash drives (~dozen).

Today I should be able to pick up some flash drives to experiment with while *KEEPING A LOG*.
I'm not going to ask "How did my collection end in the current state?"
I will focus on creating a recipe so that I can accomplish my *IDIOSYNCRATIC* goals. Using a combination of points from this threads and some recent experiments, this should be doable.

Cheers
-- t