Re: do you find old firefox is better than new one?

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 08:07:06 -0300
Eike Lantzsch <zp6cge@gmx.net> wrote:

> Life is too short for browsers.

Indeed so, the main problem being that web designers charge a lot of
money, and for that the customer expects to see lots of whizzy things
on the pages, many of which can simply not be achieved in HTML. Every
page must have links to all the fashionable social media, and not just
links, but calls to chunks of JavaScript.

And there we have the real villain: the point of a programming
language is that arbitrary programs can be written in it, and there's
no way to optimise the browser to handle every possible program
efficiently.

So many pages now have little or no functionality unless you permit half
a dozen scripts to run, many of them written by idiots who can just
barely drive a web authoring package. Look at the page source: 90% of
it is font commands, workarounds for many different rendering engines
and screen sizes, and other housekeeping stuff, and half the rest is JS
calls. I write the odd web application for my own use, and I do it
(usually) in php with embedded HTML. No web designer would ever
consider doing that, he wants to dash off rubbish in the shortest time
possible, and he assumes everyone is using the same browser, on a
high-powered workstation, that he uses for testing.

--
Joe