Re: do you find old firefox is better than new one?

On 12/16/18, Long Wind <longwind2@yahoo.com> wrote:
>     On Sunday, December 16, 2018 7:07 PM, Eike Lantzsch <zp6cge@gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
> Usually I don't reply AOL but in this case I second that.
> I'm an unhappy Firefox-user on Debian and am looking for alternatives.
> Yes, I do have many tabs open, 'cause I need them. I got plenty of memory
> but Firefox does not seem to use it efficiently.
>
> On Sunday, December 16, 2018 9:32:07 AM -03 Long Wind wrote:
>> i have 52.9.0 and 45.9.0, both for stretch
>> new one often becomes unresponsive,
> or slows down extremely ...
>> and i have to close it and restart it
>> it often happens when i first start it
>> maybe some function/service is blocked in China
> I cannot second this behaviour. Do you use some or many extensions? Maybe
> legacy add-ons?
> What about scripting on those pages? Here often enough scripts are stopped.
>> it seems it's doing something impossible, and takes much cpu resource
>> but old firefox also face blocking
> Often 1 cpu of 4 is 100% in use without anything happening.
>>

> Thanks! i don't have any add-on on both firefoxesand i haven't check
> scripting on web pagesand maybe i'm unable to read scripts

What I read into what Eike wrote about scripting is what I experience.
There's an alert/warning that pops up asking if you want the script to
continue processing or do you want to shut it down because it's
slowing things down too much.

Mine has never clued me as to what was the immediate culprit. It's
possible I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

*Unless I'm in a humongous hurry*, those messages have never caused
undue duress. Each occurrence was triggered by not keeping an eye on
memory usage combined with whatever action I've just asked the browser
to perform.

No, no add-ons. Haven't had any in many years. Things started getting
too scary in that realm. :)

Anyway, I decided to chime in on this thread because I just found out
I had ANOTHER 1,042 tabs open THIS time. That occurred over the last 2
weeks of websurfing.

"free -m" is showing this:

              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            986         747          94          40         145          76
Swap:          3999         941        3058

Thunar, GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), and two tabs of
xfce4-terminal are also all open during that output there. That's on
my little Valentine's Day colored ASUS 1015px, 500GB hard drive with
four partitions that include that swap space.

This is for Firefox Quantum 62.0.3. I've played around with 63 and 65,
but seem to keep having to come back to that 62.0.3 for some reason.

This browser's been open for about a day and a half now. Several
HUNDRED of those tabs are currently "alive" and actively in use for
whatever various reasons of information gathering.

For me, it's phenomenal. Never had that fortune with respect to any
browsers. I did flub up the libjs package assortment during my last
debootstrap'ing. I forgot to take notes when I got a good combination
to work mid-November. A couple of frequently visited pages are back to
working haphazardly when they had just begun finally working
consistently. *smack my head!*

Several of the currently live tabs are about building the elinks
terminal text browser with javascript capability. Knowledge that
that's even a thing came about k/t finding out my bank demands
javascript capability. My bank's website closes my banking session
(logs me out) the second it determines javascript isn't going to
happen via a base elinks installation.

The instructions for building elinks with javascript weren't hard to
follow, but my effort got hung up by a missing header file at the
./configure step early on. Midway through trying to work that out, I
was startled by two new directories under root: /lib32 and /libx32.

Those two new directories undoubtedly came about while playing with
package libx32gcc1 and a couple related things. I smell another
debootstrap coming on way sooner than later. Business as usual. A
two-day old instance of Buster's core files is sitting in the wings
twiddling its thumbs as I type this. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey