Re: Setting up a chroot on a Jessie system to compile a program using sid

On Sat, Dec 08, 2018 at 09:21:33AM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> Looking ahead, if I later want to experiment with real VMs, do they need to be
> on separate partitions or can they also just be in separate folders?

Every VM solution that I can think of supports using disk image files.
In that case you would select a directory where you would place the disk
image files.  They also support using partitions for each VM.  However,
in my experience the best approach for using partitions is actually to
use LVM and create one or more logical volumes for each VM.  That is
what I do for my production systems.

> And if they can be in separate folders, would there be any reason to consider
> putting them on separate partitions?

In my experience, performance tends to be better with partitions than
with disk images.  However, with solid state disks, the performance
benefit is less noticeable.  So, it comes down which one is easier for
you to manage given how you manage the rest of your systems.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez