Re: blu-ray recommendations?

On 2018-12-05, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>
>> To my experience, degradation of once verified media is rare, even long
>> after they have been written. More probable is drive degradation.
>> (With re-usable media stored for a long time, there is an increased
>> probability that they fail to take new data. But that's a different
>> problem.)
>
> I always "verify" after burning a disk, but the nature of the CD/DVD implies
> degradation of material. The speed (and lense power) influence the quality
> of the writing, of course also the materials used and their quality play
> role. But still a disk is very unreliable medium for data storage over long
> period of time IMO.
>
> regards

Here's a decade-old (and a little more) opinion from UNESCO (?) about
the matter (although they completely ignore the critical 'shape'
parameter mentioned by TS):

 While recordable optical discs are viable tools in the access to and dissemination of
 digital information of all kinds, it is strongly recommended that professional data
 storage methods, as developed by the IT industry, should be used. All digital carriers
 are to some extent unreliable, however, data tape and hard disc systems are made
 reliable because technological testing, copying and management systems are
 implemented to support the data carrier and the quality of its content, maintain and
 manage the integrity of the data. These systems are feasible for storing critical data
 even under climatically and financially sub-optimal conditions. No viable automatic
 testing and management system exists to make optical disc reliable, and consequently
 any archival use of optical systems must depend on a manual approach using people
 and testing equipment as described in this publication.

http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0014/001477/147782E.pdf