Re: VLC doesn't shutdown when closed

On 2018-11-23 3:53 a.m., Curt wrote:
On 2018-11-22, Gary Dale <garyndp@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2018-11-22 10:26 a.m., Curt wrote:
On 2018-11-22, Gary Dale <garyndp@gmail.com> wrote:
I looked for a keep running option (and VLC does have a lot of options)
but couldn't find one.

If in 'Simple Preferences' under 'Playlists and instances' 'use only one
instance when started from file manager' isn't checked the phenomenon
has been known to occur (if you're starting VLC from a file
manager).

If not and on the other hand this appears to be a known bug. How you are
closing the app might be pertinent. 'Ctrl Q' after stopping the video?
Or some other way? Have you experimented in this regard?

Interesting - if I press the stop button on the player, vlc terminates
properly.

We live in an imperfect world, though this isn't exactly what you'd call
counter-intuitive, either.

Maybe the VLC people would argue this isn't a bug, as you might be
streaming to your Aunt Tilly in the other bedroom and only want to free
up screen real estate by closing the video's window on the source machine.

That would be equally served by the minimize button.

Moreover I will note that this is a new behaviour. I've been using VLC for a long time and this behaviour is not normal for it.

Finally, I will note that your example only makes sense if VLC is being used to stream a video. It doesn't make sense when the stream option isn't being used.