Re: VLC doesn't shutdown when closed

On 2018-11-22, Gary Dale <garyndp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2018-11-22 10:26 a.m., Curt wrote:
>> On 2018-11-22, Gary Dale <garyndp@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I looked for a keep running option (and VLC does have a lot of options)
>>> but couldn't find one.
>>>
>> If in 'Simple Preferences' under 'Playlists and instances' 'use only one
>> instance when started from file manager' isn't checked the phenomenon
>> has been known to occur (if you're starting VLC from a file
>> manager).
>>
>> If not and on the other hand this appears to be a known bug. How you are
>> closing the app might be pertinent. 'Ctrl Q' after stopping the video?
>> Or some other way? Have you experimented in this regard?
>>
> Interesting - if I press the stop button on the player, vlc terminates
> properly.

We live in an imperfect world, though this isn't exactly what you'd call
counter-intuitive, either.

Maybe the VLC people would argue this isn't a bug, as you might be
streaming to your Aunt Tilly in the other bedroom and only want to free
up screen real estate by closing the video's window on the source machine.

--
He used sentences differently from any other prose writer. He always sounded
like a slightly drunk man who is very melancholy, who has no illusions about