Re: VLC doesn't shutdown when closed

On 11/21/18, Gary Dale <garyndp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2018-11-21 2:55 a.m., tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 08:29:18PM -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
>>> I'm running Debian/Buster with a Plasma 5 desktop. After I close a
>>> VLC session [...]
>>> Note that just ending the process doesn't work. I need to send the
>>> Kill signal.
>> Not a VLC user here, so take my advice with a fist of salt (or two),
>> but I think you might want to describe more precisely what you mean
>> by "close a VLC session" resp. "end the process". You close the
>> program's main window?
>>
>> Cheers
>> -- tomás
>
> Close - click on the close button, which closes the window and should
> also shut down the application
>
> End Process - click on the End Process option in the System Activity
> monitor after selecting the VLC process. According the manual, this is
> supposed to send the SIGKILL signal but it doesn't seem to work in this
> case. Instead I need to send the Kill signal to the process.

Cliff's Notes version > jump down to where I said I might have found
something. :)

The rambling version > More apples and oranges, Thunar file manager
was doing that to me a couple years ago to the point it was still
alive *after reboots*. That's bad. At some point, I stopped noticing
it occurring.

Am writing to ask.. is there a toggle switch anywhere, e.g. in
Preferences, that gives you the option of leaving it running in the
background? I've seen programs do that but can't remember what did.
Some browsers have something along that line, for one thing.

I just installed Samba and noticed a "background" option for it via
its manpages. That wouldn't be something that users necessary knew was
occurring because it was about a command line option in Samba's case.

One of the players I've used had the option to postpone screensavers
until videos finish playing, too. Maybe... well, I don't know. It's
nice when the screensaver does NOT kick in while something's playing.
But if it's a royal pain for whatever reason, maybe untoggling that
might somehow help *if that option exists*.

Might have found something. After I wrote the above, I took a quick
peek at "apt-cache show vlc" before sending this:

"VLC can also be used as a streaming server that duplicates the stream it
 reads and multicasts them through the network to other clients, or serves
 them through HTTP."

Maybe that has something to do with it not going gentle into that good
night? That "show me" there even references an additional plugin
package for-r-r-r-r..... backgrounding happy Samba.

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *