Re: 100Base-FX (SC) card PCI/PCIe

Hello Michael,

Am 2018-11-10 hackte Michael Stone in die Tasten:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 12:40:03PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>>Gigabit, as someone sugested, would require OM4 cables which are
>>twice as expensive and also the Networkcards and switches.
>
> That's not correct; gigabit over this distance would require OM2 at
> most, and may even work over FDDI grade fiber (not that I'd run FDDI
> grade fiber in 2018). OM4 would be required for 10gbase-sr for the
> longest run (and I'd personally go with single mode instead if you
> think
> you might ever want to upgrade past gigabit) but OM3 would suffice for
> the shorter runs.

I searched the internet and it shows, that with OM3 and
GigaBit you can have only 150m.  10GBit is limited to 35m.

If you have OM4, then GBit is 550m and 10GBit 150m

OM4 would alow me to increase the 100Base-FX to 2km,
while OM3 allow me up to 550m which is in my range
since my Farm is not bigger except at the End of the
Forest where "Nobody was gone before".   ;-)
(I love StarTrek)
Would be a 5 year voyage with heavy djungle equipment.

Have a nice weekend

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400