Re: 100Base-FX (SC) card PCI/PCIe

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 1:06:15 PM -03 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Good day *,
>
> I am running on my Organic Farm and my Forest into problems with the
> lenght (100m) of Ethernet cables and want to use now for this case
> Fiber Multimode 1310nm cables.
>
> So what I have is following:
>
> 1) Server "Bunker" (19" 16U Rack, 2 Mini-ITX Server, 4G-Router,
>    Astra-Internet Switch, currently 8-port D-Link GreenSwitch, UPS)
>
> 2) House (30m distance to second D-Link GreenSwitch)
> 3) Workspace (20m distance, will get maybe an additional D-Link 5-port
>    GreenSwitch)
> 4) (Winter-)Greenhouse (60m distance for Siemens LOGO!)
> 5) Powerstation (20m distance, Victron Color Control GX, Siemens LOGO!,
>    requires 2 cable or also an another D-Link 5-port GreenSwitch)
>
> So this can be done with 12m thick Ethernet Earthcables which I get
> for under 0,50?/m
>
> 6) Panorama IP cam with remote controll installed on my big Windmill
>    mast (100Base-TX, 110m distance)
>
> Best option to connect 6)?
>
> 7) 1 IP cam (100Base-TX) with Interphone in 50m distance
>    here I can also use an Ethernet cable and then using a Eternet/Fiber
>    switch to connect
>
> and from 7)
>
> 8) 2 IP cams (100Base-TX) in 40m distance
> 9) 2 IP cams (100Base-TX) in 80m distance
> 10) 2 IP cams (100Base-TX) in 140m distance
>
> In 2020 we plan a Stall (160m distance) for our animals which should
> get also an IP cam and an IP based Interphone (SIP?)
>
> In 4-5 years we plan a second House which in a distance of arround
> 300-350m
>
> For the IP cams I can get very cheap the TP-Link MC100CM on which I
> can attach a small temperature controlled heating element (Estonia
> can be cold as -40°C on our farm). The LevelOne IEC-4001 would be
> nicer, but the price is GRMPF!
>
> Fiber SC cables I can get up to 400m preconfigured, so this is no
> problem.
>

> The question is now, how to connect all best together?
>

> The two Mini-ITX Servers have no free PCI/PCEe ports available,
> hence only Ethernet direct or the MX100CM is an option
>
> Now I need a Fiber Singel-Mode SC Switch and (maybe) Network Cards
> for my Workstations where two have PCI and PCIe slots.
>

> Which 100Base-FX/SC Switch and Card can you recommend?
>

> Note: Since I have NO AC-Power availlable, the Switches MUST HAVE
>       external power supplies (5-24V DC)
>
> I found on eBay the Microsens MS453111 very cheap (I can buy some
> spare too; however, the Microsens Website <http://www.microsens.cn>
> does not more work since some time) but I would probably need in my
> "Bunker" a Switch which has 12-16 Eternet ports and 3-4 SC ports.
>
> Also the power consumption does matter because Of the solar- and
> windenergy systems
>
> My old 3Com 100Base-FX (PCI) cards have unfortunately only
> Singel-Mode hence I need new stuff for my 4 Workstations.
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi Michelle Konzack,
between buildings fibre optics is always the best bet, because of differences
in earth potential and the danger of lightning hits. These do not have to hit
the cables directly. Strong earth currents in the case of a tree being hit or
another building being hit may destroy most of your infrastructure in a wink
of the eye.
So do not only take the cable length into account.
If copper cat6 needs lengths > 90m within a building, additional switches in-
between are an option, maybe with PoIP. But from building to building: always
fibre optic cable. It also eventually may turn out to be cheaper becasue you
need only one kind of switches and can skip the installation of (expensive and
often useless) ground arresters.
I wish you success
Eike
--