Re: Archiving content of a directory on a DVD-R.

On Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 06:48:45PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
If you want to make use of xorriso's capability to create a mountable ISO
filesystem with a copy of your directory, then you do not need tar.

 xorriso -for_backup -outdev /dev/sr0 -map . / \
         -close on -commit \
         -toc -check_md5 failure -- \
         -eject all

This is very, very good advice. The one question I had when reading it
was to what extent this faithfully recorded all the metadata for the
files that are selected. But I answered that via the xorriso(1) manpage,
and "-for_backup" selects all the necessary extensions etc. to do the
best job possible.

So, +1 for this approach - *especially* the -check_md5 step.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland