Re: Micro-report: using Stable without systemd

On Wed 17 Oct 2018 at 08:32:30 (+0100), mick crane wrote:
> On 2018-10-17 05:33, David Wright wrote:

> > > seems correct you can't use X over ssh as root.
> > > I don't know why but always seemed wrong running X as root.
> >
> > To be fair, I don't think Gene is trying to run X as root (which would
> > an X *server*), but just a client. Yes, I agree that running X as root
> > would be horrible, but I have no difficulty in running an X client as
> > root, either on the same machine or having logged in as root (by key)
> > to another machine. But I would be very choosy about which clients I'd
> > be prepared to run.
>
> meant clients. I'm a bit uncertain how exporting X works.
> Had it working with keys as user and left it alone.
> Assume ssh on remote sends X requests to machine you are sat at.
> Changed a bit sshd_config on remote to check this but guess that might
> be sshd_config on sat at machine and ssh_config on remote ( or both, I
> dunno ).
> will have a fiddle but assume it's not meant to work.

As Greg wrote above, I'd sit at the machine (A) running the X server
and open an xterm. I'd then obtain root (I use su). Now I'd ssh -X
into root on the other machine (B) by means of keys. IIRC at this
point A would write a /root/.Xauthority file on B if required. Now I'd
type, say, xeyes on B (in the xterm) and expect to see the eyes pop up
on the Xserver screen at A.

Using sudo at any stage might complicate this, and a client could also
decide whether to run or not depending on certain security criteria.
I can't help with that as I'm not familiar with Gene's client, and
also I use sudo only to perform various "potted" tasks like shutdown
(and then only on the same machine as the user).

Cheers,
David.