Grub-less installation of stretch

I didn't want to hijack the "Problem updating to Buster" thread, but
it follows on from:

On Mon 08 Oct 2018 at 18:45:01 (+0300), Reco wrote:
> 2) Mount chroot again (from inside the screen). Ensure you're able to
> run 'apt-get update' without trouble, as you'll need it.
>
> 3) Perform the usual upgrade dance:
>
> apt-get upgrade
>
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> The process will ask you questions (many questions, in fact), you're
> assumed to choose answers wisely ;). Take special care while upgrading
> grub.
>
> 4) Unmount chroot, exit screen (simple 'exit' should do it).
>
> 5) Reboot into your brand-new buster installation.

(The origin of my system will differ slightly in being debootstrap
from another partition running jessie, rather than an upgrade of
an older system.)

At step 3 (where I'm installing all the packages I want on the new
system) remove grub if it's there. (IOW I wouldn't deliberately be
installing it. I see no dependencies.)

Step 4 as above.

Step 5: Now I'm back running jessie (whence I executed the
debootstrap and so on).

# grub-mkconfig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg

which will os-prober the new grub-less system and add entries for it under
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

Step 6:

# grub-set-default 'Debian 9 (on /dev/sda7)>osprober-gnulinux-simple-swan07'

using the strings I find there.

# reboot

Would this work, and reboot into the grub-less system? Any snags or gotchas?

Cheers,
David.