Re: Grub-less installation of stretch

Le 08/10/2018 à 22:23, David Wright a écrit :
On Mon 08 Oct 2018 at 20:20:24 (+0200), Pascal Hambourg wrote:

So it may be advisable to install at least grub-common and use
grub-mkconfig to generate /boot/grub/grub.cfg. If you also want to
automatically update grub.cfg after a kernel package installation or
removal, you may either install grub-pc (or any other grub flavour
available in the arch) - without installing the boot loader - or
create your own scripts in /etc/kernel/post{inst,rm}.d/ to do
basically the same as zz-update-grub provided by grub-pc.

OK. I think I'll install those as grub does seem to do some reasonably
complicated stuff which I don't fancy duplicating.

zz-update-grub is a very simple script. Basically it just checks the presence of update-grub and runs it. A custom script would just need to call grub-mkconfig.

The main thing is
for me to check that nothing can touch the MBR

Then you can install grub-efi. It won't ever write anything to the MBR. But if an EFI partition is mounted on /boot/efi, it will write on it and will try to register in the EFI NVRAM boot variables.