Re: Problem updating to Buster - gparted effectively MIA

On 10/08/2018 10:45 AM, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 08:46:21AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
[snip]

I stated by running "script", so I have a log.

1) First things first.

Install 'screen' utility into stretch.
run 'screen' and do everything else there.

I browsed the man page for "screen".
Why use it rather than the MATE terminal?

The answer will suggest what I should be aware of as I give it a more detailed read.
It will be useful for me to do a review of how/why use chroot.
IOW saying "... you're assumed to choose answers wisely" I will have to "think first rather than repent at leisure" ;/

In case of any trouble (such as network connectivity loss), reestablish
your connection and run 'screen -DR'.

2) Mount chroot again (from inside the screen). Ensure you're able to
run 'apt-get update' without trouble, as you'll need it.

3) Perform the usual upgrade dance:

apt-get upgrade

apt-get dist-upgrade

The process will ask you questions (many questions, in fact), you're
assumed to choose answers wisely ;). Take special care while upgrading
grub.

4) Unmount chroot, exit screen (simple 'exit' should do it).

5) Reboot into your brand-new buster installation.

Reco