Re: More info - was [Re: Synaptic fails to fix broken packages]

On 10/05/2018 05:06 AM, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Fri, Oct 05, 2018 at 04:57:36AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 10/04/2018 11:10 PM, mick crane wrote:
On 2018-10-04 18:27, Glenn English wrote:
On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 2:06 PM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

Just did a fresh install to another partition of the machine on which I
observed the current problem.
Installation was from DVD 1 of Debian 9.1.0

Again LibreOffice Writer would not launch.
Attempted complete removal. This time the LibreOffice meta-package was
identified as broke.
[I did _something_ ???]

If I may suggest, skip Stretch and install Buster. I had problems
(don't remember what they were) with Stretch too, and everything's
working fine on Buster.

I've never used anything but Stable, but this time it seemed to be
bent. The updates are massive on Testing, but it works.

YMMV...

I agree Buster / apt is working well.
Spent ages messing with different distributions in the past.
Really these days there seems to be no need.

mick

I'm not comfortable with anything other than "stable".
When moving from one release to the next my custom is to purchase a DVD set and do a complete fresh install.

However, I *am* several point releases behind. I just read the apt-get man page and don't grasp how to chose between upgrade and
dist-upgrade. It's purpose is focused more on "what" than "why" of each option.

Can someone point me to a discussion of why one would chose a particular option?

Why do you need a discussion of that if you have apt-get(8)?

upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently
installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
/etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new versions
available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are
currently installed packages removed, or packages not already installed
retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages
that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another
package will be left at their current version.

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of
packages.

tl;dr version:
apt-get upgrade is 'safe'.
apg-get dist-upgrade can install new and uninstall existing packages, so
it should be used with care.

If you're using stable without third-party repositories, it's 'upgrade'
that's needed most of the time.
If unsure always add '-s' flag to any apt-get invocation.

Reco

"... so it should be used with care." takes care of immediate decision.

However, I would still like to grok when/why the decision would be "dist-upgrade".

P.S. "Why?" goes back > three score and ten <chuckle>