Re: Synaptic fails to fix broken packages

On 10/03/2018 08:45 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
I received an email with an attachment in .doc format.
I clicked to open with default program - LibreOffice Writer.
All I got was a brief display of the LibreOffice flash screen.
I tried to open from MATE's Application menu - failed likewise.

You sure that the *doc wasn't broken-by-design (i.e. one of the various
types of malware that tend to use *doc files, etc.)?

Not the problem on on two counts.
1. I had same symptoms when directly opening LibreOffice Writer from
   MATE's application menu.
2. I later found a flash drive to which I had installed Debian 8.
   The .doc file opened properly there.

Tried to do a complete removal with intention of doing a re-install.
Tried to do the re-install receiving a "fix broken packages" response.

Mind sending the package(s) that're causing the conflict?

Murphy decreed that the brokenness should evaporate ;/

A timeline:
1. Waited for a good night's sleep before following up your request.
2. I recently had a similar problem with Synaptic and was pointed to
   Synaptic's Help for fixing broken packages. I had not followed up
   as that machine had an apparent hardware/system failure. I'm on a
   different machine with a fresh install of Debian 9.
3. I attempted to view broken packages and got a list composed of
   packages I could not identify as ever having been installed.
   Did not notice any LibreOffice packages.
4. Did a search by package name for LibreOffice.
   Found many installed packages.
   Marked them for complete removal. Applied same.
   Now no evidence of broken packages.
5. Installed LibreOffice meta-package.
   It opened the doc file without problem.

As I've had similar problems twice I'll attempt to reproduce the problem. It will not be immediately as I have a higher priority project.

Is there a reproducible manner to break dependencies?

Thank you.