Re: More info - was [Re: Synaptic fails to fix broken packages]

On 2018-10-04 18:27, Glenn English wrote:
On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 2:06 PM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

Just did a fresh install to another partition of the machine on which I
observed the current problem.
Installation was from DVD 1 of Debian 9.1.0

Again LibreOffice Writer would not launch.
Attempted complete removal. This time the LibreOffice meta-package was
identified as broke.
[I did _something_ ???]

If I may suggest, skip Stretch and install Buster. I had problems
(don't remember what they were) with Stretch too, and everything's
working fine on Buster.

I've never used anything but Stable, but this time it seemed to be
bent. The updates are massive on Testing, but it works.

YMMV...

I agree Buster / apt is working well.
Spent ages messing with different distributions in the past.
Really these days there seems to be no need.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31