Re: More info - was [Re: Synaptic fails to fix broken packages]

On 10/4/18, Glenn English <ghe2001@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 2:06 PM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>
>> Just did a fresh install to another partition of the machine on which I
>> observed the current problem.
>> Installation was from DVD 1 of Debian 9.1.0
>>
>> Again LibreOffice Writer would not launch.
>> Attempted complete removal. This time the LibreOffice meta-package was
>> identified as broke.
>> [I did _something_ ???]
>
> If I may suggest, skip Stretch and install Buster. I had problems
> (don't remember what they were) with Stretch too, and everything's
> working fine on Buster.
>
> I've never used anything but Stable, but this time it seemed to be
> bent. The updates are massive on Testing, but it works.
>
> YMMV...

I ran into similar but was with Jessie for me (and a few users who had
almost "show stopper" problems way back when). Stretch has somewhat
become like that for me in the last few months, too. Not quite as bad
as Jessie was right from the start, but.. is becoming more "notable"
as Time keeps moving on.

Buster's turn is almost here, anyway:

https://release.debian.org/buster/freeze_policy.html

"The freeze for buster will happen according to the following timeline:

    2019-01-12 - Transition freeze
    2019-02-12 - Soft-freeze
    2019-03-12 - Full-freeze"

k/t Debian-Devel-Announce for that recent update:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/09/msg00004.html

Once Debian Developers' schedule hits that point in the release cycle,
I personally start feeling pretty comfortable about making the
permanent move...

But ditto the "YMMV" for all other users dependent upon usage needs
and setups. :)

Cindy :)

PS Double ditto on the "massive" updates experience with Testing. Have
MERCY, LOL! It was just too much for me this last go-round. I HAD to
take a break by stepping over to Stretch Stable a couple months after
the start of the last cycle. :)

A glass half full kind of thing was that personal choice left time for
other (likewise massive) downloads that led to more self-education
about the inner workings of *all* things #Linux.. :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *