Re: where does fvwm get its xterm icon?

David Wright (2018-09-22):
> (Actually .xsession here.) That may well be, and it does work to get
> the xterms placed on the correct positions, but it also has downsides
> which I can avoid while xtoolwait continues to work (even with its
> bug).
>
> 1) The xterms' arguments, and (for some of them) the commands they run,
>    are computed in the shell script that is ~/.xsession. While some of
>    these might be simple to perform in fvwm-ese, not all of them are,
>    and I'm not particularly well versed in fvwm-ese. I'm reasonably
>    competent in bash dialect shell-ese however.

You can call a shell script from Fvwm, of course. With a little
creativity, you can even call .xsession or .xinitrc itself and arrange
to have the same init code for environment and stuff but execute pre-WM
commands when it is truly the init script and post-WM commands
otherwise.

> 2) I get a log of all the .xsession operations in .xsession-errors,
>    whereas the logging done by fvwm is almost all generated by the
>    Echo commands I inserted.

If you get Echo commands in .xsession-errors, that means Fvwm's output
is connected to it, and then all commands started by Fvwm will too.

> 3) There's still a race between the xterms when started from InitFunction.
>    Although their placements are correct, they are mapped at their
>    locations in a random order instead of deterministically. This
>    randomises the PIDs and PTSs of their shells, which is less
>    convenient for seeing who's running what at a glance.

You may need to enforce the order with your favorite tool, but starting
from Fvwm's InitFunction will reduce concurrency and therefore make
things slightly more efficient. And I believe Fvwm is capable of doing
the wait itself, which would be even more efficient.

Also, relying on the numbers of PIDs and PTYs is really not reliable,
irregardless of how you start your xterms.

(Also, I had to wonder for a few seconds about why your xterms have
Presentation Time Stamps, but that is just because I have spent a
significant part of the week-end surrounded by multimedia jargon.)

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George