RE: where does fvwm get its xterm icon? [SOLVED]

On Mon Sep 10 08:47:39 EDT 2018, I wrote:

> I can't figure out where fvwm is getting the xpm icon for an xterm. ...
> In Debian 7, calling null.xpm gives me no xpm icon, just a title bar labeled
> "syrano".  I prefer this because it's very small.

I now have this all working as I wanted.  First I made a 0-pixel null.xpm:

/* XPM */
static char * null_xpm[] = {
"68 0 1 2",
"O      c None"};

(The white space after `O' is space-tab.)   This declares the image to have 0
rows.  It didn't work unless I defined at least one color.  I thought the
width (68 pixels) would be irrelevant but found it determines the width of
the label under the (null) xterm icon.  An alternative is to define a real
pixel array all with color "None".  This gives a transparent icon, but it has
a real size that influences its positioning.

In ~/.fvwm/config, I have:

Style "XTerm"       IconOverride
Style "XTerm"       Icon /usr/share/pixmaps/null.xpm, SloppyFocus, IconBox 200x200-1+0

Surprisingly, I had to give the full pathname for null.xpm even if I put it
in /usr/share/pixmaps.

Finally was a timing issue.  My ~/.xinitrc now has this:

xterm -geometry 125x58+964+56 -iconic -title syrano -e ssh syrano &
sleep 1
xterm -geometry 125x58+964+56 -iconic -title numbat -e ssh numbat &
sleep 1
/usr/bin/firefox -width 1300 -height 1100 &

Without the sleeps, the behavior was erratic.  Often one or both xterm icons
would default to an XT symbol that matches
/usr/share/pixmaps/mini.xterm_48x48.xpm or to an active little screenshot.
Calling the xterms from ~/.fvwm/config did not solve that problem.

All of this worked without calling IconOverride, but if I called a new xterm
from the shell and reduced it, I got a default icon unless I had called
IconOverride.

Anyway, I have what I wanted now and again thank all of you for your many
helpful suggestions.