Re: where does fvwm get its xterm icon?

On Sat 22 Sep 2018 at 14:37:14 (+0000), Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
> On September 21, 2018 11:35 PM, David Wright wrote:
>
> >> That sounds like a different problem: a race between fvwm and the
> >> xterms over which order they start in. The manner in which the race
> >> affects me is that my (open) xterms get mapped all over the place
> >> instead of where I want them placed. The fix is simple except that
> >> the package required never made it past squeeze, so you'd need to
> >> visit the archives, specifically:
>
> On Saturday, September 22, 2018 1:55 AM, Nicolas George responded:
>
> > The real fix is even simpler: start your X11 clients from Fvwm's
> > InitFunction, not from .xinitrc.
>
> Good idea.  But I (original poster) just tried it, and once again the icon
> for the xterm appeared as a live screenshot instead of smplayer.xpm, which I
> had defined (for testing purposes) in ~/.fvwm/config.  Including "Test
> (Init)" in the InitFunction didn't help.  Thanks.

Well, it's difficult to know what else to suggest as there's not
enough information to be able to reproduce what you are observing,
and everything I've observed at this end has tallied with the
documentation, including -iconic which I included in my later tests.
IOW the configuration commands consistently set the appropriate icon,
and it would appear correctly iconified at startup if -iconic was set,
and would (un)iconfy itself correctly after that. I think you just
have to check your files carefully, and forget about startup until you
have the correct icon interactively (un)iconifying each way.

BTW in case I didn't mention it: although fvwm/display.xpm appears
to be corrupt, fvwm is not bothered and will happily use it.
identify-im6.q16: unrecognized color `magenta4' @ warning/color.c/GetColorCompliance/1052.
identify-im6.q16: corrupt image `/usr/share/pixmaps/fvwm/display.xpm' @ error/xpm.c/ReadXPMImage/431.

Cheers,
David.