Re: [OT] Best (o better than yahoo) mail provider for malinglists

On Wed 29 Aug 2018 at 11:26:31 (-0500), John Hasler wrote:
> David writes:
> > It's cheap to register your own domain and find a suitable hosting
> > provider. This makes moving and travelling much simpler.
>
> With Gandi at least, no hosting is required.  They will forward mail to
> your domain to any address you specify.  There needn't be any server of
> any kind associated with the domain.

I'm not sure what use a domain name is if no one is hosting the domain.
Anyway, see the last sentence of this posting.

    "Domain registration information is maintained by the domain name
    registries, which contract with domain registrars to provide
    registration services to the public. An end user selects a
    registrar to provide the registration service, and that registrar
    becomes the designated registrar for the domain chosen by the
    user.

    Only the designated registrar may modify or delete information
    about domain names in a central registry database. It is not
    unusual for an end user to switch registrars, invoking a domain
    transfer process between the registrars involved, that is governed
    by specific domain name transfer policies." (Wikipedia)

So, for example, I switched registrar because I originally bought my
domain through my then ISP, but I later switched ISP and moved the
domain to an independent registrar because (a) the old ISP wouldn't
host it and (b) it was something not to have to think about again
when later switching ISP.

    "Registration of a domain does not automatically imply the
    provision of DNS services for the registered domain. Most
    registrars do offer DNS hosting as an optional free service for
    domains registered through them. If DNS services are not offered,
    or the end-user opts out, the end-user is responsible for
    procuring or self-hosting DNS services. Without DNS services for
    the domain, the registration is essentially useless for Internet
    services, although this situation is often encountered with domain
    parking and cybersquatting." (ibid.)

    "Registrars require the specification of usually at least two name
    servers." (ibid.)

Cheers,
David.