Re: [OT] Best (o better than yahoo) mail provider for malinglists

On Wednesday 29 August 2018 04:34:38 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 06:12:15PM +0200, Francesco Porro wrote:
> > Ciao,
> >
> > As a member of this mailing list, I have a little (OT) question for
> > you: which is the best free email service around to receive mailing
> > lists?
>
> As many others have pointed out in this thread, "free" (I think you
> mean "no money" aka "cheap") and "best" somehow are in conflict.
>
> If you're not paying money, they are monetizing you in some other way.
> This is the sad reality of today's society (not that there aren't
> people fighting to change that, mind you).
>
> My recommendation over here in Germany (which should be as accessible
> to you as an Italian, but perhaps there are equivalent Italian offers,
> which I'd tend to support, were I you)
>
>   - posteo.de
>   - mailbox.org
>
> Each of them cost you 1 EUR/month, which is less than 1
> Espresso/month. Worth every cent, IMHO.
>
> We get what we pay for. Short term (obvious) and long term (less
> obvious): those small companies would cease to exist if everyone
> took the "cheap way out".
>
> Cheers
> -- tomás

This is also true, but on this side of the pond, the inet service I pay
40 USD a month for, is expected to supply the mail server free, in this
case a copy of dovecot which has a pop3 portal too and is surprisingly
low spam because it has an extensive blacklist of crap it doesn't even
accept so extensive I've had to whitelist half of the mailing lists I'm
on. For that I have their cable modem, facing a router running dd-wrt,
which feeds an 8 port switch to connect up the rest of the machines here
so all have access to the 10 megabyte DL service that usually shows
around 11, and the correspondingly slower DSL upload thats just under 3
megabytes/second in actual speed.

dd-wrt's firewall is bullet-proof, nothing comes in that wasn't invited
except other folks accessing my web page, listed in the sig.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)