Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On 08/24/2018 06:08 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 24 Aug 2018 at 16:18:40 (-0500), John Hasler wrote:
The Wanderer writes:
If the user chooses a provider which carries those groups, and chooses
to subscribe to one or more of them, then surely that is what that
user is choosing to do with the bandwidth which that user purchases
from that user's provider - and as long as the user's bandwidth limits
are not exceeded, surely it's none of the provider's business what is
transported over that bandwidth.

For marketing reasons they like to advertise very high bandwidth, beyond
what they can actually support on shared channels, and then block
potentially high-bandwidth services that most of their customers will
never use and therefor never miss.

I thought their concern was usage, not bandwidth (ie speed).
360MB is small beer. Downloading a day's House Judiciary Committee
hearing from youtube is around 3-4GB. With TV (all off internet),
we use 15-30GB per day.

Cheers,
David.

As single data point:
I am subscribed to 17 mailing lists and follow 22 USENET groups.
All that plus my routine browsing and downloading system updates from Debian keeps me well under my 2GB monthly data cap [typically <1.2GB]