Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On 2018-08-24 at 15:12, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 09:52:25PM +0300, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>
>> MANY IAP forbid the use of NNTP (e.g. the french Providers Bougues
>> and Orange) because of the HUGE traffic it produce.
>
> NNTP is about the same efficiency as email.
>
> Usenet with binaries groups, on the other hand, matches what you are
> thinking about.

Any given news provider can choose not to carry the binaries groups.

Any given user can choose not to subscribe to any of the binaries
groups.

If the user chooses a provider which carries those groups, and chooses
to subscribe to one or more of them, then surely that is what that user
is choosing to do with the bandwidth which that user purchases from that
user's provider - and as long as the user's bandwidth limits are not
exceeded, surely it's none of the provider's business what is
transported over that bandwidth.

>> Telia in Estonia has no restrictions, but downloading the index of
>> a Kernel Devel Newsgroup has just produced 356MByte traffic!  WTF?
>> 96.000 Messages?
>>
>> NO THANKS!
>
> 96000 messages sounds like a couple of years worth of traffic -- and
> kernel groups tend to send patches.

Actually, assuming that this "kernel devel newsgroup" is a gatewayed
mirror of the Linux Kernel Mailing List, and based on my archive of the
LKML over the course of several years (or my memory of such, as it's on
another box to which I don't have immediate access), that's about four
to eight months worth of traffic - depending on which year it's from.
The per-month message count has been trending upwards over time; it's
even possible that by now this might represent as little as three
months. (I'm a ways behind.)

Yes, it is - or, when I was up to date with such things, was - routine
to see well over 20,000 E-mails per month through the LKML.

> You're letting specific weird cases frighten you away from a
> perfectly reasonable protocol.

The LKML is indeed a fairly extreme outlier, however. Very, very few
mailing lists get that kind of traffic; it may even be the only one.

--
   The Wanderer