Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

David writes:
> I didn't know they were asking the ISP to *host* the newsgroups, just
> to allow NNTP stuff to pass from whoever is hosting it to the user,
> who pays for the usage they make of it.

The user pays a fixed monthly fee and was promised a certain bandwidth
(*bandwidth*, not monthly total data usage).  Of course he expects to
never see less than that and of course marketing will have overpromised.
This leads to pressure to find ways to cut down peak bandwidth without
angering very many customers.  Somebody notices that peak bandwidth
usage by NNTP users (the ones who download binary groups, which is what
the ISP management thinks is all there is to Usenet) is well above
average and that there aren't very many of them...
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com