Re: question about memtest86+

On 24/08/2018 19:05, Long Wind wrote:
Sorry, Ben, i made mistake, it isn't hp dx5150, it's lenovo
motherboard is 865GV-M8, it uses Dual DDR 400 memory
i've used it for about 5 years, it's OK except sometimes it's noisy
noise must come from fans in case

Fans are a common source of case noise. Hard disk drives can be noisy. Electrical components such as coils or capacitors can also whine.

since it's OK, why should i bother with memory or overheat problem?

Overheating can cause instability and shorten the life of your components. Cleaning the system and cleaning, replacing, or adding fans is an inexpensive and effective way of reducing overheating. Filters can also be clogged with dust or hair.

Defective memory will cause system instability and silent corruption. I would much rather have 1G of reliable memory than 1.5G of unreliable memory. Memory tests will tell you whether your 1.5G is reliable.

If your computer turns itself off, there is something wrong.

it has 512M x 2, now i want to change one of them to 1G, so that total is 1.5G
i want to use memtester to test it, but it doesn't print progress, it seems i have to wait forever.

If you do not specify a number of iterations, memtester will loop infinitely. When I run a single loop, I see progress reports, which change to "ok" for each successful test:

# memtester 1G 1
memtester version 4.3.0 (64-bit)
Copyright (C) 2001-2012 Charles Cazabon.
Licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2 (only).

pagesize is 4096
pagesizemask is 0xfffffffffffff000
want 1024MB (1073741824 bytes)
got  1024MB (1073741824 bytes), trying mlock ...locked.
Loop 1/1:
  Stuck Address       : ok
  Random Value        : ok
  Compare XOR         : ok
  Compare SUB         : ok
  Compare MUL         : ok
  Compare DIV         : ok
  Compare OR          : ok
  Compare AND         : ok
  Sequential Increment: ok
  Solid Bits          : ok
  Block Sequential    : ok
  Checkerboard        : ok
  Bit Spread          : ok
  Bit Flip            : ok
  Walking Ones        : ok
  Walking Zeroes      : ok
  8-bit Writes        : ok
  16-bit Writes       : ok

Done.

This test takes 3 minutes on my i7 7700 with dual-channel DDR4 RAM. Peak package temperature was 72 C. Ambient temperature is 19 C. I have a passively cooled Streacom mini-ITX case.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director