Re: question about memtest86+

On 23/08/2018 20:26, Long Wind wrote:
to Ben Caradoc-Davies:
my PC is HP dx5150, i use it with that memory for more than 2 years, it's OK, no overheating. maybe memory checking cause overheating? i've installed memtester, i'll try it.

Any dx5150 Front Panel LEDs lit?
https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c00868914

Does the CPU fan spin? When was it last cleaned? Do you have a cat?

I still suspect overheating. Sustained CPU load from a memory tester may be enough to put it over the edge. Sensors may help you gather evidence. What is your CPU model? The dx5150 has several variants and the safe operating temperatures may vary.

I note that this PC is about 13 years old. This exceeds the service life of many CPU fans. Capacitors are the next suspect (motherboard or power supply), but the symptoms suggest heat. Dust will exacerbate heat problems.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director