Re: What's the right way to get an unbroken mc package installed in Stretch

On Mon 20 Aug 2018 at 23:50:59 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
> Stretch comes with 4.8.18, which for me is unusable due to an upstream bug fixed
> in 4.8.19[1], but 4.8.19 is unusable due to another upstream bug, not fixed
> until 4.8.20[2]. I configured stretch-backports in sources.list, but apparently
> it has no newer mc version available. 4.8.21 is on the mirrors, so I downloaded
> it from a mirror and installed it with dpkg. It works fine, but now apt is
> broken because it thinks mc is broken and needs to be removed by "apt
> --fix-broken install". Apparently apt thinks mc depends on different packages
> than dpkg does:
>
> # apt install inxi
>  inxi : Depends: gawk but it is not going to be installed
>  mc : Depends: libext2fs2 (>= 1.37)
>       Depends: libgpm2 (>= 1.20.7) but 1.20.4-6.2+b1 is to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install'
>
> # dpkg-reconfigure mc
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: mc is broken or not fully installed
>
> Am I the only one who needs mc to work in Stretch? What do others do?
>
> [1] fubar right pane at startup with saved long file listing
> http://midnight-commander.org/ticket/3758

I've not used this facility so I didn't know mc was "broken".

I would be tempted to try a workaround. Can you define a hot
key which obeys the keystrokes necessary to reselect Long View,
but which finishes by redefining itself to its original use.

Just a untested suggestion. Of course this might not work for
you even if it's possible: I have all my mc configuration in
readonly files (owned by root where readonly isn't enough) so
it starts up consistently.

> [2] VFS: timestamps not being preserved due to uninitialized struct stat
> st_[acm]tim.tv_nsec (#3821)
> http://midnight-commander.org/ticket/3821

I couldn't understand this one as it only seemed to describe the code
necessary to fix a bug whose symptoms weren't fully described.

Cheers,
David.