Re: Installing package *NOT* in repository

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 01:47:25PM -0400, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> On 8/13/18, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

SNIP...

> >> As I said already, dpkg does install dependencies. Actually, I don't
> >> know any (Debian) tool which wouldn't, by default.
> >
> > I don't think it does, y'know. That's why apt-get was created.
>

> I always need someone else to say the right thing to trigger thoughts.
> That's a good one there. Dpkg DOES complain about, i.e. dpkg DOES name
> the right dependencies that are missing. It just doesn't go that extra
> mile to help bring them on home.

Maybe you'd find this command relevant when installing packages
manually:

apt-get --print-uris --yes install $PACKAGE_NAME | grep ^\' | cut -d\' -f2

creates a list of needed downloads to install $PACKAGE_NAME. I don't
know who gets the credit for that one but it seems pretty nifty.

--
Jason