Re: Installing package *NOT* in repository

On 8/13/18, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 13 Aug 2018 at 17:49:08 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 08:35:50AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:

>> > I use gdebi to install local .deb files. It handles the dependencies,
>> > too.
>>
>> As I said already, dpkg does install dependencies. Actually, I don't
>> know any (Debian) tool which wouldn't, by default.
>
> I don't think it does, y'know. That's why apt-get was created.

I always need someone else to say the right thing to trigger thoughts.
That's a good one there. Dpkg DOES complain about, i.e. dpkg DOES name
the right dependencies that are missing. It just doesn't go that extra
mile to help bring them on home.

To date, I've been lucky when going that route on occasionally regular
occasion. The list of dependencies has been short... as has the list
of secondary (?) dependencies that the immediately relevant
dependencies... depend on to do THEIR own part of the whole. Each one
needed has to be singularly tracked down and then installed.

Very manual process. If you're into really "seeing" how things
interact, that's one route that'll help catch a quick peek...
including learning how to track down more packages *that won't kill
your system* if those dependencies aren't immediately available
through one's favored package repository. I invariably end up
distracted by something shiny incidentally discovered when I
absolutely have to go that route..

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* Minutes from submitting my very first official Linux patch ever... \
                               Unless someone beats me to it in 3...2...1 *