Re: Slow boot

On 8/14/18, Johann Spies <johann.spies@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 at 17:18, Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious.  Did you just do a distribution upgrade on this laptop?
>> From what to what? Or was it a clean install? Or is it an old install
>> with everything working fine until now?
>
> I do regular dist-upgrades (testing) and have installed it as a new
> computer about two or three years ago.

I started having some SLOW response times going back maybe 2 weeks
ago. I've not tied it to anything specific until today.

Mine's not at bootup, that goes quickly. This is immediately after I'm
already in. It's both Thunar file manager and Mousepad text editor in
Xfce4 environment. I'll click... pick a feature, ANY feature, and
wait... and wait.. and wait..

And that's on a brand new, fresh reboot with approximate 6GB memory.

Today something happened, and I ended up kicking an operating system's
liveCD out of /dev/sr0 where it had been sitting quietly doing
nothing. At least I think it was not engaged in any activity... :D

Everything's been working fabulously ever since...

That drive started automounting a few days ago after years of not
doing so. No intervention from me *that I know of*. I've played with
virtual machines, but I don't  think that came into it because it has
happened multiple times on reboots where I haven't touched VMs at all.

Just tossing it out there because it's an exasperatingly slow
something and may lead to an answer for someone eventually.... :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey
Backyard Pishing (Very active private birding adventure)

* runs with duct tape *