Re: Slow boot

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 8:45 AM, Johann Spies <johann.spies@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can push the power on button on my laptop, go and make coffee and
> come back and wait a few minutes before I can work.
>
> The following services each takes longer than 10 seconds to activate:
>
>  systemd-analyze blame
>     1min 21.617s apt-daily.service
>      1min 2.473s systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
>       1min 926ms console-setup.service
>          47.192s postgresql@10-main.service
>          38.873s exim4.service
>          29.176s shorewall.service
>          23.365s wicd.service
>          22.402s mariadb.service
>          18.925s nmbd.service
>          13.917s udisks2.service
>          13.177s ModemManager.service
>          11.865s libvirtd.service
>
> I can disable apt-daily.service but I do not think the system will
> work properly if I disable the second.  The third one (console-setup)
> seems to have a bug:
>
> systemd[1]: Failed to start Set console font and keymap.
> It is looking for a file (symbols/us-intl) that does not exist
> Aug 14 08:02:55 sitasie console-setup.sh[769]: setupcon: The keyboard
> model is unknown, assuming 'pc105'. Keyboard may be configured
> incorrectly.
> Aug 14 08:03:55 sitasie console-setup.sh[769]: /usr/bin/ckbcomp: Can
> not find file "symbols/us-intl" in any known directory
>
> This is the joy that I get since systemd became the standard.

Not sure you can blame systemd here, except that without systemd you
would have no clue what took so much time. Most of these services
shouldn't take that long to start, and systemd is just the messenger
here. What more, the system should still boot up without most of
these, especially the databases.

Part from console-setup being broken, I'm a bit curious about your
hard drive activity and if you have a rotating platter drive or an
SSD.

If you start up apt-daily, two databases and libvirt in parallel on a
rotating platter laptop drive, I'd expect a huge amount of disk
thrashing.

I don't remember now if it's possible to log I/O activity, but maybe
you can inform us about the physical drive at least?