Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 06:05:41PM +0000, tech wrote:
>> [...]
>> Since augusth 1st:
>>
>> I received around 12 familly mails, 62 pro-mails, 147
>> spam/pishing/bullshit mails.
>>
>> Between all the debian mails list who exist, i receives  also 168
>> emails.
>>
>> I have maybee read 20 of them, and deleted all the others...
>

> I get more mail than that before breakfast. If you've got the
> right tools, it's easy to deal with.
>
> 1. Spam filter. Spamassassin is good. If you can add greylisting
> to your mail server, you should try that, too.

Both are amazing, as are some of the less intensive checks before asking
the more computationally expensive tools.

> 2. Automatic mail folders. The only mail that ends up in your
> inbox should be mail that your ruleset is not certain about.
> Each mailing list should get its own folder. Maildrop is easy
> to learn.

I use sieve(?) scripts.  Took maybe 10 minutes to learn the syntax
enough to get the auto redirects working.

Although, I use my inbox somewhat more heavily than "just for things the
rules don't know", since navigating the directories via phone is more
painful than "I really didn't need to see that one".

> 3. Indexed mail searching. Whatever works with your preferred
> mail client. Have cron run a re-index every morning before you
> wake up.

Care to expand on this one a bit? Not entirely sure what you mean here,
and it's intriguing.

> 4. Mail threading in your mail client. If it doesn't do threads
> properly, time to change clients. I like mutt.

Mutt is quite nice, though I connect to the linux.debian.* MLs via
Usenet ... really ought to dig out that howto and stash it in my "don't
lose these things" directory.

>> I have sent the following emails, received zero anwsers. With a
>> "modern" system like a bugzilla/forum/tracker/else and their moder
>> options, i can know how many peoples have read it ( 23 answer for
>> 9876 readsfor example ) ... with the mailings list, how many people
>> took relly the time to read it ( as i direct-delete most of he amils
>> i receive ) ...
>
> Who cares who read your mail? Only the answers are important.

^ This.  Also it seems you're getting quite a number of responses on
this today.

Perhaps you (tech) just happen to be somwehere that the list is
"generally quiet" during your "day".

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947